Pin Cushions from Tuna Cans | Redo It Yourself Inspirations : Pin Cushions from Tuna Cans

Sunday, August 2, 2015

Pin Cushions from Tuna Cans


For the Creative Craft Challenge this month, we are working with cans. Any cans that we can recycle into a crafty idea.

I wanted to make a pin cushion chair. Without a real plan in mind, other than covering the can and making sure it had a cushion, I dragged out fabrics, beads,


Styrofoam, quilt poly-fill, glues, scissors, and tape to start winging it together.


I cut open two tuna fish cans, but one so that the lid was still attached about an inch and a half.


Serving as the back rest of the chair, I reinforced the attached lid and can to the other can. It's stacked on with heavy duty duct tape. This tape would act as a hinge for the two cans.


Then after deciding what fabric to use, and what part of the printed design to be placed as the seat and the backrest, I cut the foam and filling to fit on the cans.


Just like upholstering a regular sized chair, but using tape and glue instead of staples and nails, I covered the tuna can lid front and back.


Then covered with more polyfill.


Then the fabric is attached with more tape and glue.


The cut styrofoam was covered in poly-fill , then the fabric, for the pin cushion seat.


I made piping for trim.


And glued the piping on the back rest and the seat.


Then I glued and wrapped the fabric around the cans.


I used hot glue to add the pleated skirt and trim to finish off the chair.


Finally, I glued on four large plastic beads for feet.


The top tuna can is the pin cushion and the bottom can is hidden pin storage.










I had so much fun and it was so easy that I made a few more pin cushions.



Like this little ottoman.
It has six metal beads for feet, printed burlap and rope trim.


Then I whipped up this country pin cushion from scrap denim jeans, an old fashioned red handkerchief, and tied on rope.
Yee-Haw!


This western pin cushion is made with a leather belt, rawhide string tied on with a concho and denim to cover the cushion.


I enjoyed this craft. 


Have you made any can crafts? If so, we would love to have you link up this month!




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Linked to





Get Your DIY On Fabrics











No comments:

Post a Comment